New Jersey News
Gov. Christie questions Bloomberg's timing on gun control talk
TRENTON (WABC) -- Nationally and here at home as well the gun control debate is heating up.
"Let's leave a little bit of a respectful distance between these people being murdered in a movie theater to trying to make a political issue out of it. There's plenty of time to debate the merits of gun control and additional gun control," said Christie.
Christie was responding last night to Mayor Bloomberg's tighter gun control in the wake of the Colorado movie theater shooting.
The mayor said "now" is the time to talk about gun control and made a bold statement on CNN earlier this week.
"I don't understand why the police officer across this country don't stand up collectively and say, we're going to go on strike. We're not going to protect you. Unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what's required to keep us safe," the Mayor said.
Under New York state law, police officers are forbidden to strike and Christie criticized Bloomberg.
"Well let them go on strike in New York, we'll see how that works. Mayor Bloomberg is obviously passionate about this issue and he's not restricting himself to staying out of politics during tragedies," Christie said.
Governor Christie says politicians should keep a distance for the time being so the victims and their families of the Colorado shooting can mourn.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, chris christie, michael bloomberg, gun violence, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 3040 hurt 8 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97