New Jersey News
Gov. Christie questions Bloomberg's timing on gun control talk
TRENTON (WABC) -- Nationally and here at home as well the gun control debate is heating up.
"Let's leave a little bit of a respectful distance between these people being murdered in a movie theater to trying to make a political issue out of it. There's plenty of time to debate the merits of gun control and additional gun control," said Christie.
Christie was responding last night to Mayor Bloomberg's tighter gun control in the wake of the Colorado movie theater shooting.
The mayor said "now" is the time to talk about gun control and made a bold statement on CNN earlier this week.
"I don't understand why the police officer across this country don't stand up collectively and say, we're going to go on strike. We're not going to protect you. Unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what's required to keep us safe," the Mayor said.
Under New York state law, police officers are forbidden to strike and Christie criticized Bloomberg.
"Well let them go on strike in New York, we'll see how that works. Mayor Bloomberg is obviously passionate about this issue and he's not restricting himself to staying out of politics during tragedies," Christie said.
Governor Christie says politicians should keep a distance for the time being so the victims and their families of the Colorado shooting can mourn.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, chris christie, michael bloomberg, gun violence, new jersey news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 12 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 38 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos