New Jersey News
One dead in Paterson house fire
PATERSON, New Jersey (WABC) -- An elderly woman died in a house fire in Paterson that left her husband, two grandchildren and three firefighters injured.
The victims were trapped in the home, at the intersection of Trenton and Maryland avenues, just after 6:30 a.m.
Police say an elderly woman died in the blaze.
Her husband remains at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center with burns to the back of his neck.
Their grandchildren were taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx in critical condition, suffering from smoke inhalation.
The residents were pulled from the burning building by responding firefighters.
Authorities say 9 people lived in the house. The fire started in the rear of the first floor.
One person suffered broken bones when jumping from the burning building.
Three firefighters were hurt while pulling the victims from the flames.
The fire burned so hot that it tore through their protective gear.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, fire, new jersey news
- At least 3 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape