New Jersey News
One dead in Paterson house fire
PATERSON, New Jersey (WABC) -- An elderly woman died in a house fire in Paterson that left her husband, two grandchildren and three firefighters injured.
The victims were trapped in the home, at the intersection of Trenton and Maryland avenues, just after 6:30 a.m.
Police say an elderly woman died in the blaze.
Her husband remains at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center with burns to the back of his neck.
Their grandchildren were taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx in critical condition, suffering from smoke inhalation.
The residents were pulled from the burning building by responding firefighters.
Authorities say 9 people lived in the house. The fire started in the rear of the first floor.
One person suffered broken bones when jumping from the burning building.
Three firefighters were hurt while pulling the victims from the flames.
The fire burned so hot that it tore through their protective gear.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, fire, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 1 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 47 min ago
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 21 min ago
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 44 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 30 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 7 min ago
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
1 min ago