New Jersey News
Lightning strikes home of 7-month pregnant woman
ALLENDALE (WABC) -- The lightning bolt hit with precision and speed first it hit a tree.
Catherine Prall said that the lightning made a loud boom and shook the whole house.
Prall and 2-year-old Jocelyn were making breakfast when the fast moving storm passed over their Rockaway home.
"The sound kind of came through the window," Prall.
The sound came through the window, because the lightning did, too.
After tearing apart the aluminum siding, it made a direct hit in the bathroom. It shattered the mirror, and there was glass everywhere. A burn mark was on on the wall.
"I didn't hear anything for like 30 seconds afterwards. It was like 'bzzzzz'," Prall added.
That is when Prall said that panic set in. After a quick check of the house, she knew it was a vicious lightning strike that destroyed anything and everything electrical.
"I was essentially standing feet from where it struck," she said
At 7 months pregnant, with a two-year-old in her arms, Prall knows they are all lucky to be alive. Believe it or not, this is not their first brush with a natural disaster.
Catherine and her family used to live in Little Falls, and her house would flood every year until FEMA bought them out and they moved to higher ground.
"We were going to live at the highest point we could, so we could never flood again," Prall said, "well we don't flood but the lightening...something's gotta give!"
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos