New Jersey News
2 more dead in Paterson house fire
PATERSON, New Jersey (WABC) -- A brother and sister have died from injuries suffered in a house fire that already claimed their grandmother in Paterson, New Jersey on Wednesday.
Alexandra Velarde, 23, and Christian Velasquez, 19, removed from life support at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx on Thursday night.
Flames raced through their home, at the intersection of Trenton and Maryland Avenues, in Paterson just after 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Maria Velarde, 75, was found dead in a second floor bedroom.
Her husband remains at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center with burns to the back of his neck.
Some of the 9 people who lived in the house jumped from windows to escape. Firefighters rescued others. Three firefighters suffered injuries during the rescues. The fire burned so hot that it tore through their protective gear.
The fire started in the rear of the first floor. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, fire, new jersey news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen