New Jersey News
Thousands attend Talmud celebration at MetLife stadium
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (WABC) -- MetLife Stadium has been transformed into what organizers are saying is the world's largest synagogue, with tens of thousands of people gathering to celebrate the completion of the reading of the Talmud, the book of Jewish laws and traditions.
The delays stretched for miles, as tens of thousands of people headed for MetLife Stadium to celebrate the completion of the page-a-day study of the 2,711 page Talmud.
Most of the traffic centered around a mass exodus of people from Brooklyn, through Manhattan, through the Lincoln Tunnel and onto Route 3.
"We came from Brooklyn and it took four hours and we were happy to do it to be here," said Rafael Lachman, a commuter.
Without exception, everyone Eyewitness News spoke with didn't want to dwell on the challenges of getting there.
Instead, they described how grateful they were to have completed the religious study.
And after all, what's four hours in traffic when the Jews believe their ancestors wandered in the desert for 40 years after escaping from slavery?
With a crowd topping 90,000 people, organizers say this is the largest celebration of Jewish learning in 2,000 years.
More than 600 police officers were there for security, and organizers estimate they spent $4 million turning MetLife stadium into a gigantic Orthodox Jewish temple for the night.
"It's a wonderful thing and it's so special that we are all here," said Petzalel Leiser, a commuter.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 37 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 42 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 23 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32