New Jersey News
Security breaches cause delays at Newark airport
NEWARK (WABC) -- Two separate security breaches caused problems for travelers at Terminal C in Newark Airport on Sunday.
A TSA spokesperson told Eyewitness News that the first incident happened at 6:30 a.m. when an oversized bag that triggered an alarm. The bag was not cleared properly, but continued to the airline (United) for loading.
The TSA worked with the PA and the Bomb Squad to locate the oversized bag, which was then re-screened and cleared properly by 9:20 a.m.
The second incident at Newark Liberty International Airport happened at 8:45 a.m. when a passenger left a check point before being thoroughly screened.
Because of this breach, Terminal C remained in a lockdown with no screenings taking place for around three hours. Screenings resumed shortly before noon.
New York Congressman Peter King says he is outraged by the security breach.
King sits on the House Committee on Homeland Security, and told Eyewitness News he'll make it clear to the head of the TSA that such breaches cannot be allowed to continue.
"What happened at Newark today was inexcusable," said King. "This just can't be condoned. This is a terrible failure. Thank God nothing happened."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, security, tsa, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 53 min ago
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 40 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 24 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 12 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 12 min ago