New Jersey News
Security breaches cause delays at Newark airport
NEWARK (WABC) -- Two separate security breaches caused problems for travelers at Terminal C in Newark Airport on Sunday.
A TSA spokesperson told Eyewitness News that the first incident happened at 6:30 a.m. when an oversized bag that triggered an alarm. The bag was not cleared properly, but continued to the airline (United) for loading.
The TSA worked with the PA and the Bomb Squad to locate the oversized bag, which was then re-screened and cleared properly by 9:20 a.m.
The second incident at Newark Liberty International Airport happened at 8:45 a.m. when a passenger left a check point before being thoroughly screened.
Because of this breach, Terminal C remained in a lockdown with no screenings taking place for around three hours. Screenings resumed shortly before noon.
New York Congressman Peter King says he is outraged by the security breach.
King sits on the House Committee on Homeland Security, and told Eyewitness News he'll make it clear to the head of the TSA that such breaches cannot be allowed to continue.
"What happened at Newark today was inexcusable," said King. "This just can't be condoned. This is a terrible failure. Thank God nothing happened."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark liberty international airport, security, tsa, new jersey news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 53 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 54 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 15 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 2 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos