New Jersey News
Bodies in New Jersey river identified as missing boys
NEW BRUNSWICK (WABC) -- Marine units found two bodies in a river as they searched for two boys who went missing in New Brunswick Monday.
A New Jersey State Police helicopter hovered above the Raritan River, searching for the unthinkable.
In the water, police marine units carefully maneuvered underneath the Albany Street Bridge as detectives searched the rocky river bank.
The boys were friends whose families reported them missing Sunday evening.
Perera allegedly told his mother he was going to the park, but he never came home.
A day after they were reported missing, the bodies were found in the cold, murky water.
How they got there and what happened to them is part of mystery investigators are working to solve.
"I feel very sad because you know how it feels to lose somebody in your family," the victim's aunt said.
Outside the Perera family house in New Brunswick, Francisco's aunt told Eyewitness News she is distraught over losing her nephew.
"I was working and she called me and said something happened to her son," said Isabella Alvarado, a family friend.
Isabella Alvarado said she came to console her friend who just lost her son.
"Sometimes he came to my house to play with his little sister," Alvarado said.
The park Perera told his mother he was going to was just a few blocks away from his home.
That park is about a mile from the river.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, missing children, new jersey news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 38 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son