New Jersey News
Teenager arrested after cop injured in car chase
NEWARK (WABC) -- A police chase ended with both the suspect's vehicle and the patrol car crashing in New Jersey Tuesday morning.
The incident happened off of South 6th Street in Newark just before 7 a.m. and also involved a third car.
Police say the suspect in the accident is 15-years-old.
The juvenile has been charge with assaulting a police officer, receiving stolen property and eluding police. His name is not being released at this time because of his age.
An East Orange police officer was injured in the crash.
The incident began when the officer tried to pull over another vehicle, reportedly stolen during a carjacking from a parking lot in Elizabeth. That driver fled the scene.
The officer pursued the car into Newark, where the cop crashed and the suspect struck another car and several parked vehicles.
The cop is being treated at University Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The suspect is in custody.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police chase, accident, new jersey news
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 23 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate 27 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos