New Jersey News
Teenager arrested after cop injured in car chase
NEWARK (WABC) -- A police chase ended with both the suspect's vehicle and the patrol car crashing in New Jersey Tuesday morning.
The incident happened off of South 6th Street in Newark just before 7 a.m. and also involved a third car.
Police say the suspect in the accident is 15-years-old.
The juvenile has been charge with assaulting a police officer, receiving stolen property and eluding police. His name is not being released at this time because of his age.
An East Orange police officer was injured in the crash.
The incident began when the officer tried to pull over another vehicle, reportedly stolen during a carjacking from a parking lot in Elizabeth. That driver fled the scene.
The officer pursued the car into Newark, where the cop crashed and the suspect struck another car and several parked vehicles.
The cop is being treated at University Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The suspect is in custody.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, police chase, accident, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 43 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 2 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 56 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced