New Jersey News
Flash floods hit Perth Amboy
PERTH AMBOY, N.J. (WABC) -- Summer storms hammered the Tri-State area and created flash floods for some.
Cars were washed away and drivers rescued in Perth Amboy, New Jersey.
It could be an even worse situation on Friday with more rain on the way.
Tow truck drivers were still trying to rescue a stranded SUV as the water was slowly receding around it.
According to officials it had been submerged and it wasn't the only vehicle buried in the high water.
"We winced one car out from the other side, it was a Mini Cooper, and winced that to the other side of Route 9, the water was over the roof," a tow truck driver said.
Law enforcement used boats to search for vehicles they might have missed in the high water, and this was after several rescues.
What happened in the area was a classic flash flood.
At around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, heavy driving rains caused storm drains to fill and in a matter of minutes the ramp connection 440 North to Route 9 South was flooded.
"Reports were that there were cars trapped in the water with people trapped in the car. We arrived on scene, we had three cars submerged, we had one lady up to her knees, she was on the roof of the car, the water was up to her knees," a firefighter said.
They rescued her and there was a Good Samaritan who rescued two other motorists from their cars.
What is left now is the damage to the cars from the flooding, and the detours that were caused into the evening.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, perth amboy, flooding, rescue, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 3 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court 54 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
16 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
3 min ago