New Jersey News
Authorities: 4-year-old's drowning accidental
LINDEN, NJ -- Authorities in central New Jersey say the drowning of a 4-year-old girl in a backyard pool was an accident.
The unidentified girl was found Saturday afternoon by emergency workers and pronounced dead at Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth.
It was not immediately known who placed the 911 call or whether anyone else was with the girl at the time.
The pool was about 2 feet deep and 10 feet in diameter.
A man who says his mother owns the house tells The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bit.ly/QU3rEr) that his brother bought the pool for a birthday party and emptied it after each use because it didn't have a filter.
There have been 23 drownings this summer in New Jersey, according to the newspaper, mostly in Ocean and Cape May counties.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, drowning, linden, new jersey news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up 17 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
17 min ago