New Jersey News
Authorities: 4-year-old's drowning accidental
LINDEN, NJ -- Authorities in central New Jersey say the drowning of a 4-year-old girl in a backyard pool was an accident.
The unidentified girl was found Saturday afternoon by emergency workers and pronounced dead at Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth.
It was not immediately known who placed the 911 call or whether anyone else was with the girl at the time.
The pool was about 2 feet deep and 10 feet in diameter.
A man who says his mother owns the house tells The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bit.ly/QU3rEr) that his brother bought the pool for a birthday party and emptied it after each use because it didn't have a filter.
There have been 23 drownings this summer in New Jersey, according to the newspaper, mostly in Ocean and Cape May counties.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, drowning, linden, new jersey news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 57 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 51 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 23 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 33 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 21 min ago
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized 4 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos