New Jersey News
Man accused of locking woman in bedroom for years
PATERSON, New Jersey -- Police searching an apartment for drugs found a woman they believe was kept padlocked in a bedroom for long periods of time over last several years - perhaps as long as a decade.
State police said members of its street gang unit discovered the 44-year-old woman on Thursday as they searched the Paterson home of 42-year-old Michael Mendez.
Based on interviews and evidence, state police spokesman acting Sgt. 1st Class Brian Polite said investigators believe the woman was kept in the bedroom for extended periods of time for the last two years and possibly up to 10 years.
Investigators said the woman was sometimes let out of the room when her boyfriend was home.
One neighbor in the complex of three-story brick buildings said he has known Mendez for about a dozen years and that Mendez would hang out in public areas. He said he saw the woman a few times in recent years, though it was rare. The man, who refused to give his name because of worries over safety, said he remembered seeing the woman get into a car sometime in the last few years.
Mendez, whom police say is a member of the Latin Kings street gang, was being held Monday at Passaic County Jail. Authorities didn't know if he had an attorney. No one answered when a reporter knocked on his apartment door Monday.
Mendez was charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment and other counts, including some related to the drugs officials said they were looking for in the first place. State police said they found 4,200 prescription pills valued at $100,000, 190 grams of marijuana valued at nearly $2,000 and nearly $23,000 in cash inside his apartment.
The woman was receiving a medical evaluation Monday.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, paterson, abduction, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
18 min ago