New Jersey News
Suspect arrested in attempted sex attacks
DUMONT, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Northern New Jersey believe they have the man responsible for preying on and trying to sexually assault women in at least two towns.
The latest incident happened in Dumont where a woman claims she was attacked from behind.
"It's scary, I walk alone to my car, it's creepy," said Laura Casbar, a Dumont employee.
"Makes me want to get mace and get a dog," said Michele Franqui, a Dumont resident.
22-year-old Alexis Sanchez Medina was picked up Tuesday night on Johnson Avenue where police say twice, he tried to sexually assault women.
On the same block, police say he followed a teenager home after she walked her dog; he rang the bell, and then stood on a chair in the backyard, peeping at her, until her brother scared him away. It's the area where Carol walks dogs.
"My daughter was going to start coming with me, my husband wanted to get me pepper spray," said Carol Biondi, a Cresskill resident.
Englewood's police chief says Medina's aggression was clearly evident just weeks earlier in his town, where he allegedly jumped a woman walking home with her child.
"She was blocks from home, knocked her down, the baby was crying, he was trying to pull off her clothes," said Chief Arthur O'Keefe, Englewood Police.
Also in Englewood at Pindle and Pearl Streets, a woman scared off a man trying to pull out her window air conditioner.
She scared him off, went outside to see the damage, and he was back.
"He came up behind her grabbed her, tried to get her clothes off," O'Keefe said.
Sanchez-Medina they say is their man and that he was probably on the prowl again Tuesday night when undercover officers spotted him back on Johnson Street.
"We were fortunate, he drove by on his bike and we got him," said Det. Michael Foti, Dumont Police, "His violence was escalating, and we had to get him off the street."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, dumont, englewood, sex crime, sexual assault, new jersey news, toni yates
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 45 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos