New Jersey News
Clifton police chase ends in deadly motorcycle crash
CLIFTON (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a motorcycle crash in New Jersey that left one man dead following a police chase.
The motorcyclist was killed fleeing from authorities in a high-speed chase that closed eastbound Route 46 through Clifton for hours.
Police say 25-year-old Emmanuel Devy, of Wallington, was thrown from his 2007 Kawasaki Ninja when he lost control on the ramp from Route 46 to Route 20 and smashed into a concrete barricade.
Clifton police had responded to a call of two motorcycles driving dangerously and erratically on eastbound Route 46 just before 1:20 a.m.
The officer spotted the motorcycles stopped at a red light and activated his police cruiser's lights, prompting Devy to speed off.
The police officer, traveling at 90 miles per hour, gave chase but couldn't keep up with Devy, losing sight of him on Route 46 at Vernon Avenue.
When he came up on the crashed bike, he found Devy dead on the roadway. He was wearing a helmet.
The other motorcyclist, 25-year-old Peter Pelle, of Clifton, did not flee from the officer. He was interviewed and will not be charged.
Investigators closed eastbound Route 46 until just before 6:30 a.m., causing traffic delays for the morning commute.
They could not immediately explain why Devy fled the traffic stop, although he possibly could have been summonsed for unlicensed driver of a motorcycle.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clifton, accident, police chase, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act