New Jersey News
Clifton police chase ends in deadly motorcycle crash
CLIFTON (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a motorcycle crash in New Jersey that left one man dead following a police chase.
The motorcyclist was killed fleeing from authorities in a high-speed chase that closed eastbound Route 46 through Clifton for hours.
Police say 25-year-old Emmanuel Devy, of Wallington, was thrown from his 2007 Kawasaki Ninja when he lost control on the ramp from Route 46 to Route 20 and smashed into a concrete barricade.
Clifton police had responded to a call of two motorcycles driving dangerously and erratically on eastbound Route 46 just before 1:20 a.m.
The officer spotted the motorcycles stopped at a red light and activated his police cruiser's lights, prompting Devy to speed off.
The police officer, traveling at 90 miles per hour, gave chase but couldn't keep up with Devy, losing sight of him on Route 46 at Vernon Avenue.
When he came up on the crashed bike, he found Devy dead on the roadway. He was wearing a helmet.
The other motorcyclist, 25-year-old Peter Pelle, of Clifton, did not flee from the officer. He was interviewed and will not be charged.
Investigators closed eastbound Route 46 until just before 6:30 a.m., causing traffic delays for the morning commute.
They could not immediately explain why Devy fled the traffic stop, although he possibly could have been summonsed for unlicensed driver of a motorcycle.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clifton, accident, police chase, new jersey news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals 23 min ago
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Oklahoma tornado death toll revised to 24,...
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos