New Jersey News
NJ hazmat scare sends 9 to hospital
ELIZABETH, NJ (WABC) -- A hazardous materials scare sent nine people to the hospital on Saturday.
Around noon, while responding to a call about a person having a seizure on Westminster Avenue in Elizabeth, New Jersey, emergency responders reported smelling a weird odor.
Occupants told them that the building had been fumigating for bed bugs.
Both an EMT and fire captain became ill causing the hazmat team to be called in. Residents were able to stay in their apartments as pesticides were determined to be the cause. Four first responders went to the hospital, plus five civilians, including two children. However, they all have been released from the hospital and are expected to be alright.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, hazmat, bed bug, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos