New Jersey News
Unions rally at Meadowlands in support of mall
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ -- Hundreds of New Jersey construction workers held a rally Saturday in support of a proposed mall project at the Meadowlands.
North Jersey's The Record reports that about 500 members of a New Jersey State Building and Construction Trades Council, which represents 15 trade unions, showed up at MetLife Stadium before Saturday's Jets-Giants preseason game.
They're supporting the proposed American Dream at the Meadowlands project, which they say would create 9,000 construction jobs.
Union leaders say the unemployment rate is near 30 percent in the building trades in New Jersey.
The project needs final approval from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
The Giants and Jets filed suit to block the proposed megamall over concerns about parking and traffic problems.
A judge last week ruled the suit was premature.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, labor dispute, east rutherford, shopping, construction, new jersey news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013