New Jersey News
Unions rally at Meadowlands in support of mall
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ -- Hundreds of New Jersey construction workers held a rally Saturday in support of a proposed mall project at the Meadowlands.
North Jersey's The Record reports that about 500 members of a New Jersey State Building and Construction Trades Council, which represents 15 trade unions, showed up at MetLife Stadium before Saturday's Jets-Giants preseason game.
They're supporting the proposed American Dream at the Meadowlands project, which they say would create 9,000 construction jobs.
Union leaders say the unemployment rate is near 30 percent in the building trades in New Jersey.
The project needs final approval from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
The Giants and Jets filed suit to block the proposed megamall over concerns about parking and traffic problems.
A judge last week ruled the suit was premature.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, labor dispute, east rutherford, shopping, construction, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 22 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos