New Jersey News
Unions rally at Meadowlands in support of mall
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ -- Hundreds of New Jersey construction workers held a rally Saturday in support of a proposed mall project at the Meadowlands.
North Jersey's The Record reports that about 500 members of a New Jersey State Building and Construction Trades Council, which represents 15 trade unions, showed up at MetLife Stadium before Saturday's Jets-Giants preseason game.
They're supporting the proposed American Dream at the Meadowlands project, which they say would create 9,000 construction jobs.
Union leaders say the unemployment rate is near 30 percent in the building trades in New Jersey.
The project needs final approval from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
The Giants and Jets filed suit to block the proposed megamall over concerns about parking and traffic problems.
A judge last week ruled the suit was premature.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, labor dispute, east rutherford, shopping, construction, new jersey news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014