New Jersey News
Missing Elizabeth kids found safe in East Orange
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- The desperate search for two missing children in New Jersey took a happy turn early Tuesday, when both kids were found safe and returned to their parents.
The two boys had disappeared from their home in Elizabeth Monday afternoon, but they were located around 3 a.m. in East Orange, quite a ways from home.
Eyewitness News was there for the joyous reunion, when members of the Elizabeth Police Department returned the children to their home and to their relieved parents.
The youngest boy, Wasim, is 8 years old and was carried inside wrapped in a blanket. His brother, 12-year-old Naqee, walked in carrying a basketball he purchased Monday for $5 right before both boys disappeared.
They had been missing for about 12 hours.
"First off, don't leave the house without telling anybody," dad Amir Ryans said. "Leave a note, anything. They know my number. And the very next thing I'm going to do, I'm no big fan of kids having cell phones, but I'm going to get one ASAP."
Ryans said the boys have a relative who lives in East Orange, but they were found far from that home.
Authorities and the family are trying to determine how the boys ended up so far from home.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, east orange, elizabeth, missing children, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers