New Jersey News
Trial under way in New Jersey baby bridge death
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Opening statements have begun in the trial of a New Jersey man accused of throwing his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge.
Prosecutors say Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem abducted Zara Malani-lin Abdur-Raheem from her grandmother's East Orange apartment in 2010 while the baby's mother was in court seeking a restraining order.
Authorities say he eventually parked on the Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State Parkway and threw or dropped the girl into the Raritan River. Her body was discovered about two months later.
Published reports say that prosecutors told jurors Wednesday that Abdur-Raheem repeatedly admitted to investigators that he threw his daughter off the bridge. But defense lawyers say they'll prove there's reasonable doubt he's guilty.
Besides the murder count, the 24-year-old former Galloway Township resident also faces charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated assault and child endangerment.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, baby, child death, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 58 min ago
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees