New Jersey News
Man accused of sex abuse of sleeping passenger on airplane
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man charged with sexually abusing a sleeping woman during a cross-country flight has made his first appearance in federal court.
The U.S. Attorney's Office has charged Bawer Aksal with sexual abuse.
Federal prosecutors say the 48-year-old North Bergen resident was sitting in the middle seat on a flight from Phoenix to Newark on Monday night when he abused the woman, who was in the window seat.
Aksal allegedly slipped one hand into the woman's blouse and another into her shorts. Prosecutors say he told law enforcement officers in Newark that the woman forced his hand into her shorts.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Falk in Newark said he wanted to hold a more detailed hearing before setting bail for Aksal, who is a Turkish national with U.S. citizenship.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos