New Jersey News
Man accused of sex abuse of sleeping passenger on airplane
NEWARK (WABC) -- A New Jersey man charged with sexually abusing a sleeping woman during a cross-country flight has made his first appearance in federal court.
The U.S. Attorney's Office has charged Bawer Aksal with sexual abuse.
Federal prosecutors say the 48-year-old North Bergen resident was sitting in the middle seat on a flight from Phoenix to Newark on Monday night when he abused the woman, who was in the window seat.
Aksal allegedly slipped one hand into the woman's blouse and another into her shorts. Prosecutors say he told law enforcement officers in Newark that the woman forced his hand into her shorts.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Falk in Newark said he wanted to hold a more detailed hearing before setting bail for Aksal, who is a Turkish national with U.S. citizenship.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 25 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son