New Jersey News
Dresses auctioned at store accused of fraud
WAYNE, N.J. (WABC) -- At a dress auction in New Jersey, a woman scored a wedding gown for just $25.
The auction was part of a settlement with the State of New Jersey and a store accused of defrauding customers.
It was the final effort to sell off every single piece of formal wear, to unload even the fixtures of Red Carpet Pageant and Prom store in Wayne.
The store was shuttered and the owners are being sued by New Jersey's Attorney General.
"A complaint was filed by the attorney general's office against the owners of the store for consumer fraud among other things," said Andrea Sullivan, a court representative.
This after many complaints that money was taken, but dresses weren't ordered or delivered, leaving prom queens and pageant princesses in a pinch.
"Those people have been contacted and have been requested that they file with the Office of Consumer Affairs," Sullivan said.
About two dozen buyers showed up, but the problem for some is that they were not their style.
Style is in the eye of the beholder.
One dress says $598, but it and others went for as little as $0.
It called for an all out effort to try to get top dollar.
Most of the hundreds of dresses were divided into sets of 10 and sold to other shop owners, except, for instance for Heather, who had her eye on a white strapless gown.
"It's for my wedding, 'm getting married in May," said Heather Reiss, a Clifton resident.
Heather's bid won. She paid $25.
Once all the money is in, the court will pay off as many creditors and customers as possible, as the owners await their day in court.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, wayne, auction, new jersey news, toni yates
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding 41 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 28 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video 42 min ago
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts 58 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane... 10 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale