New Jersey News
Mobile phone store robbed again
NEWARK (WABC) -- For the third time, a burglar has hit a Boost Mobile Store in Newark, and again like the previous times the owner claims the thief could have been caught if police had responded faster.
The piercing alarm alone should have sent the burglar running. Instead, caught on security cameras, he's able to silence it and continue stealing from inside a locked and shuttered store, ironically with an empty police car parked out front.
"Stealing money from the register, steals my phones," store owner Ben Rafeh said.
It's maddening, he says, because police were notified when the first alarm went off more than an hour and twenty five minutes before the thief is seen entering the store.
"Taking his sweet time like he owns the business, like nothing is going on. Nobody is going to come. Nobody is going to bother him," Rafeh said.
At 4:49 pm, Ben received an email alert from ADT Security that a motion sensor in the back of the store has been tripped. The thief came in through a door in broad daylight, but he could not break through an interior metal grated door.
He tripped a silent motion sensor alarm and Ben says Newark police are first notified by ADT Security, but for the next hour and 25 minutes the thief spent his time breaking through the wall and ceiling and climbing into a store room.
At 6:14, Ben says the thief is seen on security cameras entering the store and setting off the loud alarm. He disabled it and stole a cash box and twenty phones, leaving at 6:19.
Police showed up around 8:30 p.m., Ben says.
Back in early May, Ben showed Eyewitness News what happened during the second burglary at the store when the thief had 90 minutes to enter through the front security gates. He claims officers told him there are only three overnight patrol cars in the sector.
"It was a dispatcher's mistake," Rafeh said.
Rafeh says he has lost $25,000 dollars in merchandise in three burglaries.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, burglary, crime, new jersey news, tim fleischer
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 8 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 29 min ago
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 26 min ago
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos