New Jersey News
Man scales fence at Port Newark, boards cargo ship
NEWARK -- Officials say an emotionally disturbed man breached security at one of the nation's busiest ports, boarded a ship and was found in the captain's cabin.
Officials are trying to figure out why Eric Carrero went unchallenged.
Authorities believe Carrero scaled a barbed-wire-topped six-foot security fence at the Port Newark marine terminal in New Jersey on Wednesday. A Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official says Carrero wandered around before he boarded the cargo ship and was discovered in the captain's bed about four hours later.
Carrero is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
It was the second recent security breach at a Port Authority facility. Earlier, a man swam to Kennedy Airport after his personal watercraft ran out of gas.
Port Newark handles more than 600,000 shipping containers annually.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, security, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees