New Jersey News
Man scales fence at Port Newark, boards cargo ship
NEWARK -- Officials say an emotionally disturbed man breached security at one of the nation's busiest ports, boarded a ship and was found in the captain's cabin.
Officials are trying to figure out why Eric Carrero went unchallenged.
Authorities believe Carrero scaled a barbed-wire-topped six-foot security fence at the Port Newark marine terminal in New Jersey on Wednesday. A Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official says Carrero wandered around before he boarded the cargo ship and was discovered in the captain's bed about four hours later.
Carrero is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation.
It was the second recent security breach at a Port Authority facility. Earlier, a man swam to Kennedy Airport after his personal watercraft ran out of gas.
Port Newark handles more than 600,000 shipping containers annually.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, security, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 37 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 11 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
24 min ago