New Jersey News
Funeral for teen killed on party bus
FORT LEE, N.J. (WABC) -- A private funeral was held Tuesday for the student killed after he stuck his head out of the roof of a party bus last week.
Hundreds of mourners gathered Monday night in Rego Park, Queens, to say goodbye to Daniel Fernandez.
The 16-year old was about to enter his junior year at St. Francis Prep in Fresh Meadows.
The incident happened near the George Washington Bridge in New Jersey. Fernandez struck on overhead beam on an overpass after sticking his head out the escape hatch, while his friends watched in horror.
"He just made everybody smile," friend Cheyenne Coco said. "He never let anybody be upset. And he just always liked to joke around. We always had a good time with him."
Evidence of Fernandez's popularity was seen in the line of mourners at Monday's wake. The line stretched around the funeral home on Woodhaven Boulevard.
Designer Limousines, the company that owns the party bus, says they had two employees on the bus.
They say their emergency hatches were compliant with the law, but that a poor decision made by the students to open the hatch is what led to this accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, bus accident, queens, new jersey news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 24 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 12 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 27 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
12 min ago