New Jersey News
Funeral for teen killed on party bus
FORT LEE, N.J. (WABC) -- A private funeral was held Tuesday for the student killed after he stuck his head out of the roof of a party bus last week.
Hundreds of mourners gathered Monday night in Rego Park, Queens, to say goodbye to Daniel Fernandez.
The 16-year old was about to enter his junior year at St. Francis Prep in Fresh Meadows.
The incident happened near the George Washington Bridge in New Jersey. Fernandez struck on overhead beam on an overpass after sticking his head out the escape hatch, while his friends watched in horror.
"He just made everybody smile," friend Cheyenne Coco said. "He never let anybody be upset. And he just always liked to joke around. We always had a good time with him."
Evidence of Fernandez's popularity was seen in the line of mourners at Monday's wake. The line stretched around the funeral home on Woodhaven Boulevard.
Designer Limousines, the company that owns the party bus, says they had two employees on the bus.
They say their emergency hatches were compliant with the law, but that a poor decision made by the students to open the hatch is what led to this accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, bus accident, queens, new jersey news
- UK: Victim in London attack was serving soldier
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 27 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado
- Anthony Weiner to court voters in Harlem Thursday
- Jersey City boy killed outside home to be laid to rest
- Suspects in New York-Canada train plot due in court
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- abcnews: Oklahoma tornado: Before and after photos 46 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
27 min ago