New Jersey News
Jury deliberations under way in baby bridge death
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Jury deliberations began Tuesday in the trial of a New Jersey man accused of throwing his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge.
Prosecutors say Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem abducted Zara Malani-lin Abdur-Raheem from her grandmother's East Orange apartment in 2010 while the baby's mother was in court seeking a restraining order.
Authorities say he eventually parked on the Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State Parkway and threw or dropped the girl into the Raritan River. Her body was discovered about two months later.
Published reports say that prosecutors told jurors that Abdur-Raheem repeatedly admitted to investigators that he threw his daughter off the bridge. But defense lawyers say they've proven there's reasonable doubt he's guilty.
Besides the murder count, the 24-year-old former Galloway Township resident also faces charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated assault and child endangerment.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, baby, child death, new jersey news
- South Plainfield High School on lockdown 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 10 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 44 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 18 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
18 min ago