New Jersey News
Jury deliberations under way in baby bridge death
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- Jury deliberations began Tuesday in the trial of a New Jersey man accused of throwing his 3-month-old daughter off a bridge.
Prosecutors say Shamsid-Din Abdur-Raheem abducted Zara Malani-lin Abdur-Raheem from her grandmother's East Orange apartment in 2010 while the baby's mother was in court seeking a restraining order.
Authorities say he eventually parked on the Driscoll Bridge on the Garden State Parkway and threw or dropped the girl into the Raritan River. Her body was discovered about two months later.
Published reports say that prosecutors told jurors that Abdur-Raheem repeatedly admitted to investigators that he threw his daughter off the bridge. But defense lawyers say they've proven there's reasonable doubt he's guilty.
Besides the murder count, the 24-year-old former Galloway Township resident also faces charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated assault and child endangerment.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, baby, child death, new jersey news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos