New Jersey News
Police: Man tried to toss boys in front of train
RAMSEY, N.J. -- A New Jersey man has been charged with attempted murder and kidnapping after authorities said he tried to throw two young brothers in front of a train that was pulling into a station.
The boys, ages 7 and 9, were with their mother and grandmother at a New Jersey Transit station in Ramsey on Monday afternoon when the boys moved toward the platform's edge to see a train, police said.
Authorities say 47-year-old David Howard, of Wyckoff, approached the boys around 2:30 p.m. and put the 7-year-old in a headlock. They say he then grabbed the 9-year-old by the left shoulder and moved both toward the tracks.
The mother and grandmother intervened, and the boys broke free. The women then held Howard for police, and he allegedly spit at one officer while being arrested.
It wasn't clear why Howard approached the boys or why he appeared intent on harming them, according to authorities, who were trying to determine whether he had been using alcohol or drugs. The boys' mother told police that Howard had been sitting on a bench and spitting on the ground, and that he appeared to be intoxicated.
Howard, who also faces charges of aggravated assault and aggravated assault on a police officer, is being held on $500,000 bail. Authorities do not know whether he has an attorney
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ramsey, wyckoff, crime, new jersey transit, new jersey news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos