New Jersey News
Man killed in retirement community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor... 33 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 12 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 41 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College...
33 min ago