New Jersey News
Man killed in NJ retirement community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 3 min ago
- No remains found in latest Jimmy Hoffa search 3 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth 55 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies 41 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog 57 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos