New Jersey News
Man killed in NJ retirement community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos