New Jersey News
Man killed in NJ retirement community fire
BERKELEY TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- Prosecutors have identified a man who died when a fast-moving fire destroyed his home in a southern New Jersey retirement community.
But the cause of the blaze at the Holiday City development in Berkeley Township remains under investigation.
Michael Paulhus, Ocean County's executive assistant prosecutor, says 70-year-old Joseph Lasko died from injuries he suffered in the blaze that began around 4 a.m. Saturday. It was brought under control about an hour later.
Lasko lived alone in the home, and neighbors reported hearing a loud noise just before the house was engulfed in flames.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries, but no other community residents were injured in the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack 20 min ago
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home 4 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Anthony Weiner launches NYC mayoral bid
36 min ago
- Firebomb may have been used on police...
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos