New Jersey News
New Jersey remains identified as missing woman
BOGATA -- DNA analysis has confirmed remains that washed up on a New York beach a decade ago are those of a New Jersey housewife who disappeared in 2001.
However, the break in the case doesn't shed any light on how Patricia Viola died.
The 42-year-old disappeared without a trace from her Bogota home on Feb. 13, 2001.
Her remains were found on a beach in Rockaway, Queens in July 2002.
Her husband, James, tells The Record newspaper he was stunned when police on Tuesday told him about the DNA match.
He says he thought his wife was out shopping the day she disappeared and he called police at 11:30 p.m. to report her missing.
He believes the match came from new DNA samples that their children submitted last year.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, missing person, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 3 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 41 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos