New Jersey News
Newark deli clerk murdered during botched robbery
NEWARK (WABC) -- A shooting during an apparent botched robbery at a grocery store left one man dead in Newark late Thursday night.
The clerk, described as a hard-working man who recently became a father, was help up at gunpoint and shot when he struggled with the thieves.
He was identified by those close to him as Jamil Bader, and he was killed while working inside the Family Grocery on Clinton Avenue around 10 p.m. It is a family business owned by the victim's father.
Police say he was confronted by three suspects who held up the store at gunpoint. Bader reportedly attempted to tackle one of the suspects when another came from behind and shot him in the back of the head.
Jamil's uncle was also in the store with customers and witnessed the horror unfold. Family members said Jamil was engaged to be married and had a 1-year-old daughter who was the light of his life.
Residents who live near the bodega were outraged.
"He works six days a week, 12 hours a day," one nearby resident said. "He wasn't your average...kid. He wasn't hanging in the street. He wasn't gang banging. He was working in the store with his father."
The suspects escaped in a dark-colored four-door vehicle. Police were looking for three men armed with a .40-caliber handgun.
It is believed they fled without any money.
A makeshift memorial has been set up at the scene.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, murder, robbery, new jersey news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Cops investigating after Hofstra student killed
- Ramarley Graham's parents to join rally in Harlem 57 min ago
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos