New Jersey News
Tight security at high school football rematch
WAYNE, N.J. (WABC) -- There's nothing wrong with a little high school football rivalry, but when it explodes to violence on the field cops won't take any chances on a rematch.
That's what happened at Wayne Hills High School last year with eight players suspended.
Friday night was the first time the two teams came face to face in Wayne and security was tight.
It was a full house as Wayne Hills in white and Wayne Valley in blue squared off on the football field.
It was one year after a fight rocked the community.
"I know a lot of kids on both sides of town. I don't like that it has pitted both sides against the other," a game-goer said.
The fight, in some ways, split this community in two. Authorities charged eight Wayne Hills football players with brutally beating two Wayne Valley students at a Halloween party.
Security at the game was tighter than it usually was. Police were visible and posted around the field in response to what some believe are reignited tensions.
A parent said one of the victim's of the beating is still hurting.
"I think the victim is still being victimized," the parent said.
But that wasn't evident in the stands.
"I think a lot of people thought there would be tension, but I haven't seen it," said Donna Bencivenga, a parent.
"It was ugly, not doing the right thing, but it's past, over," said Mike Bencivenga, a parent.
On the field, the rivalry took an unexpected turn. This year it was Wayne Valley coming out on top.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, assault, wayne, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 56 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 1 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall