New Jersey News
Call for bodega workers to wear bulletproof vests
NEWARK (WABC) -- There is a call for area bodega workers to receive and wear bulletproof vests.
The idea comes after Jamil Bader Junior was killed during an attempted robbery at his family's store in Newark on Thursday.
Bodega Association Spokesman Fernando Mateo met with Newark Mayor Cory Booker Sunday about the proposal.
Mateo also said that bodega owners should be encouraged to own firearms.
Members of Bader's family joined Mateo at the meeting at Newark City Hall.
The mayor did not make any public comments.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos