New Jersey News
Call for bodega workers to wear bulletproof vests
NEWARK (WABC) -- There is a call for area bodega workers to receive and wear bulletproof vests.
The idea comes after Jamil Bader Junior was killed during an attempted robbery at his family's store in Newark on Thursday.
Bodega Association Spokesman Fernando Mateo met with Newark Mayor Cory Booker Sunday about the proposal.
Mateo also said that bodega owners should be encouraged to own firearms.
Members of Bader's family joined Mateo at the meeting at Newark City Hall.
The mayor did not make any public comments.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 54 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall