New Jersey News
Top of tree falls on house in Ridgewood
RIDGEWOOD (WABC) -- No one was injured when the top of an old oak tree fell on a home in Ridgewood, New Jersey, early Tuesday.
The tree fell around 6:30 a.m., and the branches poked holes in the roof.
Homeowner Susan Stanek said it sounded like thunder and felt like an earthquake, and that the inside of the house looks like a forest with all the branches.
Fire officials say an engineer will inspect the dwelling to determine if it is structually sound. It is believed the tree was rotting on the inside and may have been weakened in the fall snowstorm last October. Officials also say it was likely weighed down by leaves and acorns.
Elsewhere, strong winds are causing damage throughout parts of New Jersey.
Wing gusts ripped a facade from a tattoo shop is Wildwood Tuesday, and there were reports of falling debris damaging the boardwalk there.
A wind advisory is in effect from noon until midnight. Forecasters say southerly winds of 15 to 25 mph could pack gusts up to 45 mph.
The National Weather Service says a strong cold front could produce heavy rain and there's a slight risk for strong thunderstorms Tuesday.
A coastal flood advisory is in effect from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. along the Delaware River.
(The Associated Press contributed to this story)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ridgewood, storm damage, new jersey news
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 1 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos