New Jersey News
Top of tree falls on house in Ridgewood
RIDGEWOOD (WABC) -- No one was injured when the top of an old oak tree fell on a home in Ridgewood, New Jersey, early Tuesday.
The tree fell around 6:30 a.m., and the branches poked holes in the roof.
Homeowner Susan Stanek said it sounded like thunder and felt like an earthquake, and that the inside of the house looks like a forest with all the branches.
Fire officials say an engineer will inspect the dwelling to determine if it is structually sound. It is believed the tree was rotting on the inside and may have been weakened in the fall snowstorm last October. Officials also say it was likely weighed down by leaves and acorns.
Elsewhere, strong winds are causing damage throughout parts of New Jersey.
Wing gusts ripped a facade from a tattoo shop is Wildwood Tuesday, and there were reports of falling debris damaging the boardwalk there.
A wind advisory is in effect from noon until midnight. Forecasters say southerly winds of 15 to 25 mph could pack gusts up to 45 mph.
The National Weather Service says a strong cold front could produce heavy rain and there's a slight risk for strong thunderstorms Tuesday.
A coastal flood advisory is in effect from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. along the Delaware River.
(The Associated Press contributed to this story)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, ridgewood, storm damage, new jersey news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 29 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 43 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 18 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 35 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 43 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos