New Jersey News
Man rescued by stranger on NJ Turnpike
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (WABC) -- A man was rescued by a stranger when he was struck on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike while waiting for help after the car he was in broke down.
"Do you remember what was going through your head?" Eyewitness News asked.
"I was going to die," said Gregory Jackson, victim.
No one knows how close he came to death except for his cousin and a stranger.
Gregory Jackson is heavily medicated, now recovering from cuts and burns.
He and his cousin had broken down on the Turnpike near Exit 9, waiting for his grandmother to come.
He didn't see the car speeding towards the shoulder.
"Next thing I know I was being pulled out of a burning car," Jackson said.
"Do you remember the car hitting you?" Eyewitness News asked.
"No I don't," Jackson replied.
"But you remember the flames?" Eyewitness News asked.
"I remember the flames," Jackson said.
Greg Jackson knows only that stranger's name, Doug.
"He probably was an angel sent by God because if it had not been for this gentleman and others who stopped to help, that, my God, we wouldn't be standing here talking to him, and we want to thank him from the bottom of our hearts," said Lynn Williams, a family member.
His cousin was treated and released.
Doctors at Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center haven't said yet when this 29 year old semi-pro football player gets to go home.
That he has that option at all, he says is a gift from a man who was for a critical moment in his life a guardian angel.
"Thank you, thank you very much. I don't think I would be here if it wasn't for him," Jackson said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey turnpike, accident, rescue, new jersey news, toni yates
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 56 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 28 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos