New Jersey News
New Jersey toll stop leads to arrest of fugitive
FORT LEE -- Police in New Jersey who stopped a trucker suspected of trying to evade paying a toll say he unknowingly had picked up a person of interest in a Tennessee murder.
Port Authority police spokesman Al Della Fave says officers stopped Manuel Velasco's truck at the George Washington Bridge toll on Thursday.
Officers discovered his passenger, 52-year-old Charles Kelly, was wanted on forgery and theft charges and is a person of interest in the May murder of man in White Pine, Tenn.
The trucker told police Kelly had asked for a ride at a gas station off Interstate 81 in Tennessee on Sunday. Velasco said he had taken Kelly on deliveries and even to his home in Valley Stream, N.Y., for dinner.
Kelly is awaiting extradition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation