New Jersey News
New Jersey toll stop leads to arrest of fugitive
FORT LEE -- Police in New Jersey who stopped a trucker suspected of trying to evade paying a toll say he unknowingly had picked up a person of interest in a Tennessee murder.
Port Authority police spokesman Al Della Fave says officers stopped Manuel Velasco's truck at the George Washington Bridge toll on Thursday.
Officers discovered his passenger, 52-year-old Charles Kelly, was wanted on forgery and theft charges and is a person of interest in the May murder of man in White Pine, Tenn.
The trucker told police Kelly had asked for a ride at a gas station off Interstate 81 in Tennessee on Sunday. Velasco said he had taken Kelly on deliveries and even to his home in Valley Stream, N.Y., for dinner.
Kelly is awaiting extradition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 22 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 21 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 12 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 10 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos