New Jersey News
New Jersey toll stop leads to arrest of fugitive
FORT LEE -- Police in New Jersey who stopped a trucker suspected of trying to evade paying a toll say he unknowingly had picked up a person of interest in a Tennessee murder.
Port Authority police spokesman Al Della Fave says officers stopped Manuel Velasco's truck at the George Washington Bridge toll on Thursday.
Officers discovered his passenger, 52-year-old Charles Kelly, was wanted on forgery and theft charges and is a person of interest in the May murder of man in White Pine, Tenn.
The trucker told police Kelly had asked for a ride at a gas station off Interstate 81 in Tennessee on Sunday. Velasco said he had taken Kelly on deliveries and even to his home in Valley Stream, N.Y., for dinner.
Kelly is awaiting extradition.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, george washington bridge, new jersey news
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 38 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 57 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 35 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 39 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 33 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
57 min ago