New Jersey News
Woman arrested, accused of faking cancer
DELRAN, N.J. (WABC) -- A woman in New Jersey is charged with faking cancer, and collecting thousands of dollars in donations for her "treatment."
Authorities say 40-year-old Lori Stilley from Delran, New Jersey played the part of a sick cancer patient and had everyone fooled, even her sister.
"She was good. She convinced a lot of people that she was sick," said Lisa DiGiovanni, Stilley's sister.
Lisa DiGiovanni says she was heartbroken when she heard the news.
So, she did what she could to help including fundraisers, T-shirt sales and raffles.
She even helped plan and pay for a wedding between her sister and her boyfriend to grant her dying wish.
"I just felt like I was doing something even though I couldn't help fix her. I tried to be there as much as I could," DiGiovanni said.
DiGiovanni says things just didn't add up.
Like when her sister was preparing for hospice care, but all of the sudden started feel better and canceled the care.
"She came to my daughter's playoff field hockey game and it was very dramatic, in a wheelchair and she was supposed to go in hospice the next day and I was staring at her saying, she doesn't look sick," DiGiovanni said.
She told her friends and family members she had stage three bladder cancer.
Investigators say Stilley even published an e-book about her struggle with the disease.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, cancer, fraud, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 31 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos