New Jersey News
Woman arrested, accused of faking cancer
DELRAN, N.J. (WABC) -- A woman in New Jersey is charged with faking cancer, and collecting thousands of dollars in donations for her "treatment."
Authorities say 40-year-old Lori Stilley from Delran, New Jersey played the part of a sick cancer patient and had everyone fooled, even her sister.
"She was good. She convinced a lot of people that she was sick," said Lisa DiGiovanni, Stilley's sister.
Lisa DiGiovanni says she was heartbroken when she heard the news.
So, she did what she could to help including fundraisers, T-shirt sales and raffles.
She even helped plan and pay for a wedding between her sister and her boyfriend to grant her dying wish.
"I just felt like I was doing something even though I couldn't help fix her. I tried to be there as much as I could," DiGiovanni said.
DiGiovanni says things just didn't add up.
Like when her sister was preparing for hospice care, but all of the sudden started feel better and canceled the care.
"She came to my daughter's playoff field hockey game and it was very dramatic, in a wheelchair and she was supposed to go in hospice the next day and I was staring at her saying, she doesn't look sick," DiGiovanni said.
She told her friends and family members she had stage three bladder cancer.
Investigators say Stilley even published an e-book about her struggle with the disease.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, cancer, fraud, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 37 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 11 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
24 min ago