New Jersey News
Arrest made in Newark restaurant shooting
NEWARK (WABC) -- Three people were shot, one fatally, when gunfire erupted inside a Newark restaurant late Thursday morning.
Police arrested 32-year-old Mark S. Melvin later on Thursday. According to investigators, Melvin walked into the L.C.'s Place on 18th Avenue in Newark and shot two men eating breakfast. The restaurant is located across the street from Westside Park.
One of the men was killed.
An 81-year-old woman, the mother of the owner of the restaurant, was struck by a stray bullet.
She was hit in the shoulder and rushed to University Hospital with a non life threatening injury.
The suspect fled the scene, and police officers chased them in vehicles and on foot.
39-year-old Fuquan Mosley was killed. A 42-year-old man is in critical condition. the 81-year-old woman suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Fennelly said Newark police responded to the restaurant on a call of a shooting and received information that the suspect fled in a Dodge Magnum. Other officers observed a car fitting that description. The car was stopped at Avon Avenue and South 18t Street. A foot chase ensued. Melvin was arrested. He has been charged with murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons offenses.
Bail has been set at $1 million by the Honorable Michael L. Ravin, J.S.C. Melvin is currently being held at the Essex County Correctional Facility.
A second man was detained and has been arrested for outstanding unrelated warrants.
The motive remains under investigation by the Newark Police Department and the Essex County Prosecutor's Office Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force.
From the preliminary investigation it appears the male victims were targeted by the shooter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX 14 min ago
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 42 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx high-rise 16 min ago
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 48 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx...
16 min ago