New Jersey News
Soldier from NJ killed in Afghanistan
NEW JERSEY -- Relatives of a 28-year-old soldier from Lakehurst, New Jersey say he has been killed in an attack by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan.
The family of Sgt. Jonathan Gollnitz says they were notified Wednesday that the Fredonia, NY native had been killed.
The Pentagon hasn't released information on his death yet, but NATO officials in Afghanistan say that two service members in the U.S.-led coalition were killed in a suicide attack Wednesday during a patrol in an eastern province.
Gollnitz enlisted in the Navy after graduating from a private high school in the Jamestown area in 2003.
After five years in the Navy, he joined the Army. He was deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, u.s. military, afghanistan, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos