New Jersey News
Soldier from NJ killed in Afghanistan
NEW JERSEY -- Relatives of a 28-year-old soldier from Lakehurst, New Jersey say he has been killed in an attack by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan.
The family of Sgt. Jonathan Gollnitz says they were notified Wednesday that the Fredonia, NY native had been killed.
The Pentagon hasn't released information on his death yet, but NATO officials in Afghanistan say that two service members in the U.S.-led coalition were killed in a suicide attack Wednesday during a patrol in an eastern province.
Gollnitz enlisted in the Navy after graduating from a private high school in the Jamestown area in 2003.
After five years in the Navy, he joined the Army. He was deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, u.s. military, afghanistan, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 23 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
46 min ago