New Jersey News
Soldier from NJ killed in Afghanistan
NEW JERSEY -- Relatives of a 28-year-old soldier from Lakehurst, New Jersey say he has been killed in an attack by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan.
The family of Sgt. Jonathan Gollnitz says they were notified Wednesday that the Fredonia, NY native had been killed.
The Pentagon hasn't released information on his death yet, but NATO officials in Afghanistan say that two service members in the U.S.-led coalition were killed in a suicide attack Wednesday during a patrol in an eastern province.
Gollnitz enlisted in the Navy after graduating from a private high school in the Jamestown area in 2003.
After five years in the Navy, he joined the Army. He was deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, u.s. military, afghanistan, new jersey news
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos