New Jersey News
Soldier from NJ killed in Afghanistan
NEW JERSEY -- Relatives of a 28-year-old soldier from Lakehurst, New Jersey say he has been killed in an attack by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan.
The family of Sgt. Jonathan Gollnitz says they were notified Wednesday that the Fredonia, NY native had been killed.
The Pentagon hasn't released information on his death yet, but NATO officials in Afghanistan say that two service members in the U.S.-led coalition were killed in a suicide attack Wednesday during a patrol in an eastern province.
Gollnitz enlisted in the Navy after graduating from a private high school in the Jamestown area in 2003.
After five years in the Navy, he joined the Army. He was deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, u.s. military, afghanistan, new jersey news
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 50 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 42 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident