New Jersey News
Vigil held to remember teen killed in Bloomfield crash
BLOOMFIELD (WABC) -- There was grief and mourning on the streets of Bloomfield on Sunday night as friends and family remembered a teenager who was killed in a car crash on Saturday.
It is nearly impossible for Bloomfield High School students to absorb what happened to their friends.
Omar Baldeon is consumed with retracing his every move on Saturday night just after 11, agonizing over what he could have done differently.
Baldeon was driving the Honda Civic that his friends David Loza and 16-year-old Christina Lembo were inside. Without warning, a black Camaro slammed into the 3 high school students, killing Lembo.
Monique Upshaw got to the scene on Broughton Avenue before rescue crews and zeroed in on Lembo.
"As I turned around, she grabbed my arm, and she was telling me to help her," said Upshaw, "We were trying to get her and at least try to see if we could move her out but she was so crushed in the back, she was in the fetal position."
Skid marks reveal part of what happened, and witnesses fill in some of the blanks.
They insist a third car was drag racing alongside the Camaro, going at least 80 miles per hour with the headlights off.
Baldeon had just picked up Lembo at her home, three blocks from the scene, and was dropping her off at a girlfriend's home for a sleepover.
Baldeon never saw the Camaro coming.
Students gathered at Bloomfield High School where Baldeon, Loza and Lembo played varsity soccer.
Relatives say she was a fierce competitor, with a soft side.
"She had something extra special about her, she was just so sweet and loving and kind," said Dana Lampe.
Relatives say Sunday was tough, but Monday and each day after that, unbearable.
"I'm dreading going back to school because, I play volleyball and soccer and volleyball share locker rooms, it's going to be so sad Monday morning," said student Maya Harris.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bloomfield, essex county, accident, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
29 min ago