New Jersey News
Community mourns victim of deadly Bloomfield crash
BLOOMFIELD (WABC) -- Grief counselors are on hand at Bloomfield High School in New Jersey Monday to comfort students and faculty dealing with the sudden loss of a 16-year-old soccer player.
Hundreds of mourners turned out in Bloomfield Sunday to pay respects to 16-year-old Christina Lembo, who died in a two-car collision on Saturday night, and authorities believe she may have been the innocent victim of drag racing.
Now, the entire community is in shock.
Her friend, Omar Baldeon, was consumed with thoughts of what, if anything, he could have done differently.
Baldeon was driving with two classmates in the car just after 11 p.m. when a black Camaro that eyewitnesses believe was drag racing with another car blind-sided him, slamming into his Honda Civic.
Passenger David Loza was injured, while Lembo died in the crash.
"I'm a little shaken up, to be honest, because she sat at my lunch table," friend Isaiah Docket said. "And when you see someone that close, she was just right there, and now she's gone."
Friends remember Lembo as a sweet, smart girl and a super athlete. The high school junior was so loved and already so missed.
"I'm dreading going back to school because, soccer, I play volleyball, and soccer and volleyball share locker rooms," classmate Maya Harris said. "And I know it's going to be so sad."
In all, four others were hurt in the crash. All are expected to recover. No charges have yet been filed. The case is expected to go to a grand jury.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bloomfield, essex county, accident, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
33 min ago