New Jersey News
Community mourns victim of deadly Bloomfield crash
BLOOMFIELD (WABC) -- Grief counselors are on hand at Bloomfield High School in New Jersey Monday to comfort students and faculty dealing with the sudden loss of a 16-year-old soccer player.
Hundreds of mourners turned out in Bloomfield Sunday to pay respects to 16-year-old Christina Lembo, who died in a two-car collision on Saturday night, and authorities believe she may have been the innocent victim of drag racing.
Now, the entire community is in shock.
Her friend, Omar Baldeon, was consumed with thoughts of what, if anything, he could have done differently.
Baldeon was driving with two classmates in the car just after 11 p.m. when a black Camaro that eyewitnesses believe was drag racing with another car blind-sided him, slamming into his Honda Civic.
Passenger David Loza was injured, while Lembo died in the crash.
"I'm a little shaken up, to be honest, because she sat at my lunch table," friend Isaiah Docket said. "And when you see someone that close, she was just right there, and now she's gone."
Friends remember Lembo as a sweet, smart girl and a super athlete. The high school junior was so loved and already so missed.
"I'm dreading going back to school because, soccer, I play volleyball, and soccer and volleyball share locker rooms," classmate Maya Harris said. "And I know it's going to be so sad."
In all, four others were hurt in the crash. All are expected to recover. No charges have yet been filed. The case is expected to go to a grand jury.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bloomfield, essex county, accident, new jersey news
- Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 32 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013 41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos