New Jersey News
Thief hits Jersey City firehouse during gas leak call
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are searching for a brazen thief who targeted a firehouse while firefighters were out on a call.
The suspect, who allegedly swiped an iPod and car keys last week from Engine 22/Ladder 4 in Jersey City, apparently got away on a bicycle.
Firefighters, who were responding to a gas leak, say this isn't the first time their house has been burglarized.
"It's definitely not the best feeling in the world," Battalion Chief Steven McGill said. "You're at work, you think everything is going to be safe there."
In this case, they told police they were returning from the call when they saw a man on a bike pedal out of the firehouse and head north on Ocean Avenue. They then found the rear door of the firehouse unlocked, and one firefighter discovered his $300 iPod was gone. A second had his car keys removed.
"In very urban areas, houses get robbed," he said. "On occasion, unfortunately, firehouses also do get broken into."
McGill believes the thief was targeting tools, after firefighters found several saws placed near the back door. He believes the robbery would've been much worse had the trucks not returned when they did.
"As you're protecting the community, usually the community takes the initiative to help protect you, also," he said> "And when this happens, it's upsetting."
The suspect was reportedly wearing a red hooded sweatshirt. The city is planning to install deadbolts to help prevent future incidents.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL. <!--NOTHING BELOW HERE-->
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
new jersey, jersey city, robbery, new jersey news
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site 6 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million