New Jersey News
NJ teen who set off Twitter fire storm found safe
CLARK (WABC) -- The New Jersey girl who sparked a flurry on Twitter this weekend by posting that someone was in her house shortly before she went missing has been found.
The girl, Kara Alongi set off the firestorm after the following tweet sent around 6:00 p.m. on Sunday night: "There is someone in my hour ecall 911." Police believe that is supposed to read "There is someone in my house. Call 911."
"The Clark Police Department is pleased to announce that at approximately 4:30 p.m. on October 2, 2012 Kara Alongi was found safe and unharmed. She was discovered by troopers with the New Jersey State Police walking along the side of the Turnpike near Exit 1. As dictated by protocol she was taken to a local hospital in South Jersey for an evaluation. Her family was notified shortly after she was found and they were reunited at the hospital yesterday evening. A detective from the Clark Police Department also responded to the hospital as a standard part of a missing juvenile investigation.
Kara was transferred to a north Jersey hospital overnight for additional evaluations and was released a short time later and returned home early this morning. The investigation by the Clark Police Department remains active and detectives will seek to determine the teen's whereabouts and methods of transportation over the last 48 hours. Additional information will be released as it becomes available."
Police said earlier this week that they believed the tweet was a hoax.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clark, missing person, new jersey news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 46 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
46 min ago