New Jersey News
Final trial begins in Newark schoolyard killings
NEWARK -- The attorney for the sixth and final defendant charged in the 2007 killings of three friends at a Newark playground says his client was a bystander at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Gerardo Gomez, who was 15 at the time of the slayings, is the youngest of six men and boys charged in the case.
Opening statements are under way in his trial in Superior Court in Newark.
The prosecution told jurors Thursday that they would hear a case of "children killing children, and killing them with shocking violence."
Gomez was waived to adult court and faces life in prison if convicted of murder and felony murder.
Three of the defendants were convicted and two have pleaded guilty. Most were admitted members of the MS-13 street gang.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor 50 min ago
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos