New Jersey News
Final trial begins in Newark schoolyard killings
NEWARK -- The attorney for the sixth and final defendant charged in the 2007 killings of three friends at a Newark playground says his client was a bystander at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Gerardo Gomez, who was 15 at the time of the slayings, is the youngest of six men and boys charged in the case.
Opening statements are under way in his trial in Superior Court in Newark.
The prosecution told jurors Thursday that they would hear a case of "children killing children, and killing them with shocking violence."
Gomez was waived to adult court and faces life in prison if convicted of murder and felony murder.
Three of the defendants were convicted and two have pleaded guilty. Most were admitted members of the MS-13 street gang.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade