New Jersey News
Final trial begins in Newark schoolyard killings
NEWARK -- The attorney for the sixth and final defendant charged in the 2007 killings of three friends at a Newark playground says his client was a bystander at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Gerardo Gomez, who was 15 at the time of the slayings, is the youngest of six men and boys charged in the case.
Opening statements are under way in his trial in Superior Court in Newark.
The prosecution told jurors Thursday that they would hear a case of "children killing children, and killing them with shocking violence."
Gomez was waived to adult court and faces life in prison if convicted of murder and felony murder.
Three of the defendants were convicted and two have pleaded guilty. Most were admitted members of the MS-13 street gang.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges coming in death of Baruch College student, prosecutor...
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 19 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 27 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
4 min ago