New Jersey News
Report: Some security lapses at Newark Airport
NEWARK -- - An internal report shows screeners at Newark Liberty International Airport are properly executing standard pat-downs of passengers only 16.7 percent of the time.
The report obtained by The Star-Ledger of Newark also shows that screeners identify and take appropriate action on prohibited items in only a quarter of all cases.
But it also found that in numerous categories, including removing prohibited items found during physical searches and exhibiting good listening skills, screeners performed their duties properly 100 percent of the time.
The report was compiled by undercover teams of Transportation Security Administration employees from other airports who observed the Newark Liberty screeners at work over several months. TSA officials conduct the evaluations at airports around the nation and use the results to improve their screening practices.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark international airport, newark liberty international airport, airport security, air travel, security, new jersey news
- South Plainfield High School on lockdown 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 41 min ago
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 1 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 15 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years