New Jersey News
Report: Some security lapses at Newark Airport
NEWARK -- - An internal report shows screeners at Newark Liberty International Airport are properly executing standard pat-downs of passengers only 16.7 percent of the time.
The report obtained by The Star-Ledger of Newark also shows that screeners identify and take appropriate action on prohibited items in only a quarter of all cases.
But it also found that in numerous categories, including removing prohibited items found during physical searches and exhibiting good listening skills, screeners performed their duties properly 100 percent of the time.
The report was compiled by undercover teams of Transportation Security Administration employees from other airports who observed the Newark Liberty screeners at work over several months. TSA officials conduct the evaluations at airports around the nation and use the results to improve their screening practices.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, newark international airport, newark liberty international airport, airport security, air travel, security, new jersey news
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 10 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 22 min ago
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites 35 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places 35 min ago
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench