New Jersey News
Business owner depicts Obama as witch doctor
SPRING LAKE, N.J. (WABC) -- A business owner in Spring Lake, New Jersey has put up a window display for Halloween which depicts President Barack Obama as a witch doctor.
The display in a window of Skuby & Co. Lifestyle Clothing in Spring Lake includes an image of the president's head superimposed on the body of a witch doctor above the word "ObamaCare."
There's a tombstone featuring a picture of the president with a stethoscope and the inscription, "I Told You I Was Sick." A mannequin also wears a hat with a derogatory Obama acronym.
The display is generating support and outrage.
"Our children and grandchildren can walk by and I think this represents the worst that America can display in campaigning," Suzanne Herrmann said
. "Good for him. Someone has to stand up for our country," Ray Miller said.
I asked people on Facebook what they thought. Gloria Almodovar wrote, "I am so for freedom of speech, but have some respect he is still President of the United States." And Sarah Coffey added, "It seems like this person got exactly what they wanted through this display: attention."
"I don't think there's such a thing as bad publicity," Skuby said.
Skuby has been fielding calls from all over the country toda y-- both for and against his display. He says he's an independent, but believes that Obama has been bad for small business owners.
"He says small businesses are doing well. No we are not, we're not! I haven't had a line of credit in 3.5 years," Skuby said.
He is also hoping to generate sales for hats that he had custom made with the acronym FYBO, which many have interpreted as an offensive remark directed at the President.
"I would never shop again in that store. He must be a terrible man to be so hateful," resident Pat Brennan said.
No matter what people say, Skuby says this display will stay up at least through Halloween. What he has planned for his window in November depends on who wins on Election Day
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, barack obama, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97