New Jersey News
Business owner depicts Obama as witch doctor
SPRING LAKE, N.J. (WABC) -- A business owner in Spring Lake, New Jersey has put up a window display for Halloween which depicts President Barack Obama as a witch doctor.
The display in a window of Skuby & Co. Lifestyle Clothing in Spring Lake includes an image of the president's head superimposed on the body of a witch doctor above the word "ObamaCare."
There's a tombstone featuring a picture of the president with a stethoscope and the inscription, "I Told You I Was Sick." A mannequin also wears a hat with a derogatory Obama acronym.
The display is generating support and outrage.
"Our children and grandchildren can walk by and I think this represents the worst that America can display in campaigning," Suzanne Herrmann said
. "Good for him. Someone has to stand up for our country," Ray Miller said.
I asked people on Facebook what they thought. Gloria Almodovar wrote, "I am so for freedom of speech, but have some respect he is still President of the United States." And Sarah Coffey added, "It seems like this person got exactly what they wanted through this display: attention."
"I don't think there's such a thing as bad publicity," Skuby said.
Skuby has been fielding calls from all over the country toda y-- both for and against his display. He says he's an independent, but believes that Obama has been bad for small business owners.
"He says small businesses are doing well. No we are not, we're not! I haven't had a line of credit in 3.5 years," Skuby said.
He is also hoping to generate sales for hats that he had custom made with the acronym FYBO, which many have interpreted as an offensive remark directed at the President.
"I would never shop again in that store. He must be a terrible man to be so hateful," resident Pat Brennan said.
No matter what people say, Skuby says this display will stay up at least through Halloween. What he has planned for his window in November depends on who wins on Election Day
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, barack obama, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 55 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations 45 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos