New Jersey News
Hoax radio call sparks search for boaters
FAIRFIELD (WABC) -- It appears the Coast Guard has been targeted by another hoax via radio transmission, this time in Fairfield, New Jersey.
A U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman says a call was received at a Guard station on Staten Island Wednesday night at9:45 p.m.
Authorities say the Coast Guard contacted the Fairfield police after receiving a transmission reporting a boat carrying three people becoming disabled in the Passaic River. The transmission said the boat was taking on water.
Boats from the Fairfield and Lincoln Park Fire Departments and a helicopter from the New Jersey State Police Aviation Unit were launched to begin an extensive search.
They spent three hours searching, but never found any indication of a boat in trouble before darkness settled over the area.
The search resumed the next day, but again nothing was found. Crews spent five hours searching before calling it off.
Authorities said they found no signs of boat trailers without boats on them anywhere along the river in Fairfield.
No missing person reports indicating three individuals were missing have been filed.
Officials added that no phone calls were received from anyone who may have been on this boat and that no eyewitnesses have come forward to indicate they saw a boat on the water.
Investigators believe that this incident was a hoax, so now a criminal investigation has been launched. The Essex County Prosecutor's Office has also been notified.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fairfield, coast guard, new jersey news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 33 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 37 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 26 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos