New Jersey News
Man charged in intrusion, school bomb scare
PASSAIC, NJ -- Authorities say a man allegedly under the influence of drugs entered a northern New Jersey charter school, attacked the principal and claimed he had placed a bomb on school property.
Passaic police tell The Record that 20-year-old Dewqyon Stephens of Passaic was charged with aggravated assault, making terroristic threats and criminal trespass following Friday morning's incident at the Passaic Art and Science Charter School.
Officials say Stephens apparently got into the building by following students who were returning from recess. When he was confronted by school principal Vahit Sevinc, he punched Sevinc twice in the face and made the bomb threat.
Police soon arrived and arrested Stephens. Students were then evacuated while the elementary school building was searched for explosives.
Stephens could not be reached for comment Saturday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, passaic, school evacuation, bomb scare, new jersey news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 19 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
35 min ago