New Jersey News
Authorities ID man gunned down in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark police have identified a man who was fatally shot on a city street this weekend.
But investigators said Sunday that they were still seeking a motive for the shooting of 45-year-old Abdul Muhammad.
The Newark man was shot around 12:30 a.m. Saturday in the 500 block of South 19th Street and died a short time later at a hospital, and authorities initially had trouble determining the man's identity.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office Chief of Detectives Anthony Ambrose says it appears Muhammad was targeted by his assailant. But he declined further comment on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used and how many shots were fired.
The shooting is being investigated by Newark police and the county's Homicide Task Force.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in New York City 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident 56 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 31 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos