New Jersey News
Authorities ID man gunned down in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. -- Newark police have identified a man who was fatally shot on a city street this weekend.
But investigators said Sunday that they were still seeking a motive for the shooting of 45-year-old Abdul Muhammad.
The Newark man was shot around 12:30 a.m. Saturday in the 500 block of South 19th Street and died a short time later at a hospital, and authorities initially had trouble determining the man's identity.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office Chief of Detectives Anthony Ambrose says it appears Muhammad was targeted by his assailant. But he declined further comment on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used and how many shots were fired.
The shooting is being investigated by Newark police and the county's Homicide Task Force.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos